WSHU Public Radio , Fairfield, CT
News reporter August 2007-October 2011
Senior news reporter, October 2011-present
• Reporting, writing and producing sound-rich news feature stories for National Public Radio member-station
• Covering breaking news in Connecticut and Long Island
• Contributing feature stories to national public radio programs, including Morning Edition, All Things Considered, Weekend Edition and Marketplace, as well as live two-ways on ATC, Here & Now and The Takeaway.
• Regularly contributing breaking news coverage to national NPR newscasts
• Live on-air hosting of All Things Considered and newscasts (5 months as interim ATC host)
• Created and editing/producing State of Disparity, a radio series and news blog on economic disparity in Conn.
• Won a number of national and regional awards, including the national Society of Professional Journalists Sigma Delta Chi award for feature reporting (2011), national PRNDI awards for best soft feature (2012) and best news feature (2009), second place in the national Society of Environmental Journalists contest for "outstanding story, radio" (2007)
• Created WSHU pages on Facebook and Twitter and provide regular updates. Create online stories, with audio, video, photo slideshows and relevant links
Sacred Heart University , Fairfield, CT
Adjunct professor January 2009-present
• Teaching an undergraduate class on radio journalism and production
Columbia University Medical Center – Communications & External Relations, New York, NY
Communications Specialist July 2004–August 2007
• Interviewed doctors and researchers at Columbia’s medical, dental and public health schools to identify newsworthy medical research breakthroughs and other feature stories.
• Wrote press releases, translating complicated scientific and medical jargon into clear and understandable layman’s terms that emphasize how the news relates to the average person. Worked with top national print and broadcast journalists, pitching stories and connecting them with doctors and researchers for expert commentary.
• Managed online content, using Dreamweaver and Photoshop
Manning Selvage and Lee, New York, NY
Senior Account Executive Oct. 2003–June 2004
• Managed media relations and event planning activities for top consumer brands.
Tufts University – Office of Public Relations, Medford, Mass.
Public Relations Specialist Oct. 2001–Oct. 2003
• Identified newsworthy and strategically important potential media stories by interviewing faculty, administrators and students. Wrote media materials and coordinated news stories with local and national media. Managed print and broadcast media at high-profile events. Counseled various academic and administrative departments in public relations issues.
Agnew Carter MS&L, Boston, Mass.
Account Executive Nov. 2000–Oct. 2001
Account Coordinator June 1999–Nov. 2000
Account Associate June 1998–June 1999
• Wrote press materials, coordinated national publicity campaigns, and organized promotional events for a variety of major consumer clients, including Hasbro Games, The Boston Globe, Ronzoni Pasta, the Northeast Energy Star Program and the Special Olympics.
Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, MS, 2007
• Extensive radio, print and television journalism training. Classes in broadcast news writing, radio documentary, print reporting, television production, feature writing.
• Produced radio stories that aired on WNPR in Hartford, WILL in Urbana, IL, and CKMO in Victoria, BC.
• Published Columbia News Service syndicated articles in Chicago Tribune, Seattle Post-Intelligencer, Providence Journal, Detroit News, Austin American-Statesman and other daily newspapers.
Tufts University, BA in English, 1998
University College London, Studied English literature, 1996–97
Proficient in Adobe Audition, ProTools, Excel, Soundslides, Photoshop, Dreamweaver and PowerPoint. Experience creating and maintaining news blogs using WordPress and data maps using Google Fusion Tables. Experience using content management systems. Proficient at utilitizing Twitter and Facebook for news gathering and disemination.